Over 1.6% people have some form of disability


3

GUWAHATI, July 20 – Over 1.6 per cent people in rural areas of Assam suffer from some form of disability.As per the Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC), 1.62 per cent of people in the State have some form of disability while the remaining 98.38 per cent are ‘not disabled’.

Nationally, 1.54 per cent of people in rural areas across India have some disability.The first SECC conducted since India became independent shows that 82,960 persons or 0.29 per cent of Assam’s rural population has disability in seeing and 53,205 (0.19 per cent) has disability in hearing.Another 33,771 persons (0.12 per cent) have disability in speech and 55,986 (0.20 per cent) have disability in movement.

Source : http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/detailsnew.asp?id=jul2115/city057